What is Gift Aid?

Gift Aid explained

How does Gift Aid work?

Gift Aid is a scheme run by the government that enables charities to increase the value of donations made by reclaiming basic rate tax that has been paid on the gift. At the moment, we can claim 25p per £1 donated, so on a gift of £100, we will actually receive an extra £25, at no cost to the donor, which we then use to fund the whole of World Vision’s work.

Great! Can I Gift Aid my donations?

To qualify for Gift Aid, you need to be a UK taxpayer and have paid enough tax to cover the amount of tax reclaimed by all charities on all your donations for each tax year (6th April one year to 5th April the next). Apart from tax on income from a job or self-employment, other types that are acceptable are:

  • Tax deducted at source from savings interest
  • Tax on state pension and/or other pensions
  • Tax on investment or rental income (including tax credits on UK dividends)
  • Capital Gains Tax on gains.

Other taxes such as VAT and council tax do not qualify, nor does any non-UK tax.

OK. How do I Gift Aid my donations?

In order for World Vision to be able to claim Gift Aid on your donations, we need to have a valid Gift Aid Declaration from you.

Download a Gift Aid Declaration form to print, complete and post back to us >>

Alternatively, you can complete a Gift Aid declaration online (each time you make a donation) or call our Supporter Care team on 01908 84 10 10.

We are regularly audited by HMRC so it’s really important that we keep our records up to date with any changes, and that the declarations we receive are worded correctly. Please let us know if you change your name, address or no longer pay enough tax. If you don’t pay enough tax, you will need to pay any shortfall in tax to HMRC.

You can cancel your declaration at any time by writing to us at World Vision UK, Opal Drive, Fox Milne, Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, MK15 0ZR, or emailing us at giftaid@worldvision.org.uk, making sure you quote your supporter number. Alternatively, you can call us on 01908 84 10 10.

What about donations from a group? Are these subject to Gift Aid too?

Gift Aid is only eligible on donations received from individuals, so we cannot accept Gift Aid declarations from groups such as churches or clubs. If people who have given money towards the group donation are taxpayers, we can claim Gift Aid on their part of the contribution, but must have a Gift Aid form specific to that donation. You can use the sponsorship form or the individual donation Gift Aid form for this, and return them to us by post with your donation, making sure that your group’s supporter number is clearly shown on the form.

Where can I find out more about Gift Aid?

For more information, please visit the HMRC Gift Aid pages at www.aka.hmrc.gov.uk/individuals/giving/gift-aid.htm.

If you are unsure if you pay enough tax to allow us to claim Gift Aid on your donations, or want to find out more about eligibility to claim Gift Aid, please visit the HMRC website, or contact your local tax office.

Back to Policies and Ethics