• 844 million people in the world have no access to clean water.
• The average woman in rural Africa walks 6 kilometres every day to collect water.
• More than 800 children under the age of 5 die every day from diarrhoea because of poor sanitation and dirty water.
• 2.3 billion people live without access to basic sanitation worldwide.
• 90% of all natural disasters are water related.
Benefits of clean safe water
• Families become healthier - water, sanitation, and hygiene programmes work together to prevent the spread of illnesses and to reduce child deaths.
• Children can attend and excel in school - when children don’t have to walk long distances to get water, they have more time to attend school and more energy to learn.